Monday, January 2, 2017

Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo || All the Feels

My heart has been stolen, I will never be over this book. I DID NOT EXPECT THIS.

I found this book via a friend/seeing it around in bookstores and online. It looked pretty good. The cover is pretty, and it's about thieves so obviously that's a good start. Then I finally started reading it, and the thing stole my heart and soul by the end. It just slowly got better and better, but even then I was not expecting that ending.

For no logical reason I thought the next book would be unnecessary. Like the author was saying, "I really wanted to continue despite the lack of actual reasons to" but NO. I have no idea why I thought that, because I was so incredible wrong. Now I need the other book like I need air to breathe.

Okay, let's get to the actual review before I start spilling my guts on the floor.


This book is good, so dang good. Though I have a few small grievances, so I'll be talking about those too. But by the end of it, they weren't enough to tarnish it in the slightest.

I just want to take a moment to marvel at the beauty of Leigh Bardugo's world building. Being a fan of British history you'd think I'd be in love with fiction being based there. #WRONG This is only so because everyone bases their fantasy off England. Or if you're lucky, Scotland. I'm so happy that this book strayed from that trope.

To be honest, I can't tell exactly where this book was based off of (though it sounds like the languages are a mangled form of Dutch). But it all felt different, and gritty, and real. I love the concept of the Ice Court, and now The Barrel is on my list of fictional places I'd want to visit. I just love the world building so much arlhkldassldfk.


THESE TWO THO. THESE. TWO.

Okay Kaz is basically the best. He's a proper anti-hero. I love his fashion sense, and his dark history. PTSD is a sure fire way to make be adore a character, and Kaz needing gloves... arg I can't get over that! I was so happy that Leigh Bardugo actually had a reason that Kaz wore gloves, rather than "oh I'm mysterious for no reason" because that's always annoying.

His ability to predict people and just his super intelligence MADE ME HAPPY. I love smart characters, and I was with Kaz the whole time. Planning ahead, predicting when someone would stab him in the back. It usually is pretty predictable, and every time I was glad that he went in prepared. I feel like I see too many dumb characters. Kaz was anything but dumb. Not to mention that HE MADE A MISTAKE AT THE END. *fangirl screams* THANK YOU. He betrayed himself I cannot help but love that because I don't want a perfect mastermind. Mistakes are a thing. Keep 'em in your fiction guys, makes it relatable.

Don't even get me started on Kaz and Inej TOGETHER. I ship it. I ship it so hard. 

"I will have you without armor or I will not have you at all."

YES. ALL THE YES. Inej has boundaries, which are mega important in life. I hope she learns about his PTSD though, because he could used some understanding there. Though let's face it, it's his fault if he won't talk with her about it. Communication people. It's the most important part of a relationship.


I love looking up fanart for Six of Crows, but it needs MORE. And better art. I don't really agree with a lot of people's pictures of Kaz. He looks too... ugly. His face just seems to tall and thin, without much emotion. Which let's face it, even if you hide it Kaz you still have all the emotions and it breaks my fangirl heart.


Also let's appreciate this fan art really fast because it add's a little humor to break up the fangirl sobs. I mean, I'm still not over when Inej was stabbed and Kaz carried her back to the Ferolind. *rocking back and fourth* He cares about her so much but he doesn't know how to properly show it ardhsfldfjhs

Before we move on, I need to elaborate just a little more on Inej because she's my favorite (next to Kaz of course).


Not only is she an epic assassin, blending into the night, but her ambitions are what made me love her most. The whole first half of the book, I was going "I hope some of these characters change because of the story." Because much as I love evil or dark characters, they are not as enjoyable if they have no character growth (unless they're insane. That's a whole other story). When she finally voiced her dreams of wanting to hunt down slavers, and stop people like Heleen, I was SO HAPPY.

Becoming a pirate queen to save the lives of others is basically all I want to do with life, if I were in a fiction book. And to finish off my wonderful rant of why I love Inej, here is a wonderful piece of art that depicts what Inej's future BETTER BE. *glares expectantly at Leigh Bardugo*


Okay, moving onto Nina and Matthias (and apparently you pronounce Matthias as Matt-EYE-us? That's what the author said). Don't shoot me or anything, but I didn't like them until near the end of the book.

When I'm promised a dark and intelligent thief, planning the heist of the century, I don't want to be held back by a pathetic man and his over emotional lover. I want to read about the mastermind. Unfortunately, 50% of this book is from Nina and Matthias's view, and about their backstory. *loud sigh*


Lemme splain why now. When they're introduced, Nina is said to be a warrior. But she does not seem to have an attitude or training of any type of warrior I know. Matthias is a soldier, hunting down Grisha to put them on trial which ultimatle means they'll die. So why is he so easily flustered by everything, and why is Nina so emotional and un-soldier like?

I dunno.

By the end I really started to love the two though. I suppose a big reason why I didn't like them was because their story started as a romance. You knew without a doubt that something had gone on between them. I just don't like it when characters are introduced as "we're gonna be together by the end of the series" romantic couple, but they have to start out hating each other.

Though I'll admit, Matthias's anger was proper, considering his circumstances.

Overall, I feel like I'd love the book even more reading it a second time, because I actually care about Nina and Matthias now. Even though I still feel like something's off with their personalities considering how they were raised. But whatever.

Now Jesper and Wylan, THESE TWO on the other hand, are a completely different story.


I did not get nearly enough time with either of them, but especially Wylan. Jesper hardly had any chapter time, and when he did I wanted more. I appreciate that both of their backstories were not drawn out very long (same with Inej). Honestly, they didn't need a lot of explaining.

Even so, I wish they'd had more time to explore their characters. I do not support the romance that is being built between them, but would rather have them as good friends. Like brothers.

Dang. I really want to say more about them, but I feel like there's not much more to cover on them. Hopefully the second book will explore their characters more, because I see a lot of potential in them.


Overall, I just really loved that everyone got a proper backstory. Yeah, sometimes it took up a little too much of the book and slowed things down. But everyone held a place in the story, and they're all interesting backstories that I loved reading so #whocares. The dynamics in the Kaz's crew, along with "No mourners. No funerals." was basically the best.


Also, any author who has a map or pictures in the front of the book, automatically goes up in my list. It helps give me a better idea of everything they're writing about for starters. Not to mention that the writer obviously wanted the reader to know every detail in their head. I just really like that.


Rated PG-13 for language, sexual themes, violence, and drug use

No comments:

Post a Comment